Sunday, September 02, 2007

That's Two...

Just a couple of quick comments about yesterday's game.

I said to my son Tyler yesterday early afternoon that Mike Pelfry was going to take a no-hitter into the 7th, and eventually throw eight innings of 2-hit shutout ball enroute to a 4-0 Mets win.

As Ty walked away feeling happy at that though, my oldest, Pat, asked me "Wow, you really think so?"

I said "No freaking way. I'd be estatic with 5 2/3 of 3-run ball. The Mets should've brought up Hubner or let Sosa make the start. Pelfry's most likely gonna get smacked."

Good thing I don;t make those decisions for the Mets huh?

So my "faux" prediction was almost right on target, but in relaity it was wishfuly thinking that I really didn't believe.

Pelfry was awesome. Six innings, one run. Seven strikeouts. One hit. Took a no -hitter into the 4th actually.

Mets hit well, fielded well, pitched fantastically and would have scored even more runs but had some baserunning blunders.

The Phillies lost last night and now trail the MEts by 3. The Braves were pushed back to 6 1/2 games out.

Like I said yesterday, I'd actually almost feel that being swept by the Phils would be worth it if it lead to the Mets sweeping Atlanta IN Atlanta.

Maybe this past week was a wake up call, cause the Mets have played so good and crisp the last two days that perhaps they finally realized it's time to flip that switch.

Nice job guys. Now please... show a little killer instinct and complete the sweep.

Two down... one to go.

No comments: