Thursday, June 12, 2008

GOING OUT ON A LIMB

Yep, that's what I'm going to do.

After sixty-four games, the Mets stand at a record of 31-33. They are in tied for third place with the Braves and are six and a half games out of first (behind the Phillies).

They are actually worse off in the wild card standings. They are seven and a half games behind the wild card leading Cardinals (who just lost Albert Pujlos for three plus weeks). There are
four teams ahead of them in the Wild card standing and two other teams tied with them.

To be fair, however, four of those teams (The Astros, Marlins, Pirates and The Cards) are not going to be around all season and another (the Braves) lost their best overall pitcher for the season and lost another starter (Tom Glavine) for a few weeks.

In any case, I'm going to make a baseless prediction.

The Mets are making the Playoffs.

The Mets themselves have no shown me really anything to give me this feeling... it's just a feeling.

I think this team has a huge hot streak in them. I won;t claim to know when... but this prediction comes with the feeling that they will rip off a streak in which they will win something along the lines of 21 of 30 games.

A team with Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Santana, Maine and Pedro is not an under .500 team.

Despite the fact I honestly do not think Willie Randolph is the right man for the Mets manager's job, I think this team will put in together enough to make a run and make the post season.

Mark your books. You get to come back here in October and make fun of me if I'm wrong, but somehow... for some bizarre reason... I don't think I am.

4 comments:

lrosenkranz said...

Ummmmmmmm, I know the last line says I get to come back in October and make fun of you if you are wrong. Well it's October 1, but I just can't, I respect your faith in your team, but please don't post another one like this next season..........

Patrick J. Nestor, Jr. said...

I know. I know.

Lousy bullpen.

Patrick J. Nestor, Jr. said...

You know though... I was right about a few things... that the team DID have a big time hot streak in them (won 10 in a row and 17 of 20 at one point) and did pull ahead of all the teams I had listed that they would overcome.

I was just wrong about the playoff end.

Dammit.

lrosenkranz said...

In the immortal words of Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

So you go that going for ya.......