Monday, March 31, 2008

AND SO IT BEGINS...

So the 2008 Major League Baseball season has begun and so far things are rosey.

The Mets win today... besting the Marlins 7-2. Johan Santana looked great. Davod Wright blew the game open with a two out, bases loaded double. The Bullpen looked good. The Phillies lost. The Braves lost last night.

All is well with the universe.

Very nice game. The umpiring actually cost Santana a perfect game with calling two start balls on what should have been called three strikes to Hanley Ramirez... the umpire wasn't overly good. Also Reyes was WAY safe on his stolen base attempt. Ah well... either way the game was tight and the team looked good.

I was glad to see some VERY good at bats from Ryan Church... especially with Lastings Milledge hitting a home run and scoring the go-ahead run i the 9th for Washington today (Nats are in first place by the way with a 2-0 record!). Church hit the ball hard.. had an RBI single and was robbed of another one later in the game by a great play by Ramirez.
I liked the hustle and head's up defense that Schneider showed today. His bat is going to be a rough one to swallow at times (I'd be ESTATIC if he hit .265, but .240 is more likely) but his defense is going to be a huge plus. I'll feel better when Castro is off the DL to provide occasion pop and some solid hitting from the catcher position though.

The only one that really concerned me was Delgado. I couldn't really tell if he looked decent at the plate or not... was hard to tell. I'm hoping he gets things in line though.

I would have left Sosa in to pitch the ninth, but it looks like Willy is trying to establish definite roles for the bullpen. I guess I shouldn't be second guessing his moves one game into the season.

So Pedro goes tommorrow! Looking forward to seeing him. I expect good things from Pedro this year. I don't see why 27-29 starts should be out of the question. I expect him to hit a lull at some point where he might need extra rest... but overall I have a good feeling about his health and his role this year.

My predictions for the Mets and everyone else should be posted tonight or tommorrow. Look for it!

No comments: